Arrive JRO. Transfer to Arumeru River Lodge. Dinner and overnight at Arumeru River Lodge HB.
In the morning transfer to Marangu gate.
The actual hike begins at the park gate (6,000') and we hike 5.5 miles up to Mandara Hut (8,860') near the upper edge of the forest line. The hike takes about 4-6 hours. The path is interesting, starting off through rain forest vegetation, and then opening up to giant heather. If time and weather permit, a short walk from Mandara to Maundi Crater is worth it. Accommodation here, as well as at Horombo, are in wooden A-frame huts that sleep 4 to 8. O/N Mandara Hut
Today the destination is Horombo Hut at 12,200'. It takes a good 5-6 hours to cover the 10-mile journey and we often get our first views of the Kibo summit. The trail is strenuous and slippery and takes us clear of the forests and out onto the moorland. It passes beneath the rocky southern face of Mawenzi-one of the three volcanoes that make up Kilimanjaro. Rainfall in this region is frequent.
Another long hike, this time up to Kibo Hut at almost 15,500'. Although somewhat shorter in distance, this usually takes 7 hours because it is steeper and the altitude slows everyone down. The route passes directly up onto the Saddle, a wide, flat area with the peaks of Kibo and Mawenzi looming overhead. Views from here can be fantastic. The last part of the trail passes across the arid plateau before ascending to Kibo Hut. Kibo Hut is a stone hut with rooms that sleep 10-15 people in bunk beds. We have a light dinner, and turn in early for any sleep if possible. The guides give a little pre-climb talk after dinner.
We are awakened about midnight, and have tea and cookies. The guides try to get everyone ready to climb as quickly as possible, leaving between 1:00-1:30 a.m. starting off, the trail swings back and forth up a steep scree slope and the climate is bitterly cold. The summit climb is an event you will not forget, with the night sky full of stars and only your breathing to help focus your mind. Most climbers arrive at Gillman's Point, elevation 18,635 feet, in time to enjoy sunrise around 6:30 a.m. The views from the top looking down on the plains make it all worthwhile. Some climbers decide that they have reached their goal and head down from here. For the strong, the true summit is Uhuru Peak (19,340 feet)-an additional 3 hours away round-trip. The descent from Gillman's Point is fairly rapid, taking about 2 hours. Most climbers take a short rest at Kibo Hut before descending to Horombo Hut for the night, arriving in the late afternoon.
A long but easy 14-mile hike back to the Marangu gate and park's headquarters where you will be met and transferred to Arusha. Dinner and overnight at Arumeru River Lodge HB.
Breakfast, Morning at leisure, Lunch on own.Day room not included.At 1800hrs, transfer to JRO & depart.
Quotation to Include
- Transport from Arusha to the base hotel and back to Arusha
- Transport to the mountain and back
- Pre-climb night and post-climb night accommodation at Base Hotel in Arusha – Arumeru
- Mt. Kenya trek / accommodation while trekking
- Climbing duration as per the detailed itineraries
- All government taxes
On The Climb, The Following Are Also Included
- Accommodation Two Man tent as detailed on the itinerary
- Services of a English speaking mountain guide, cook and adequate porters to carry both trip provisions and clients private bags
- National Park Entrance, accommodation and camping fees
- All food and catering equipment - breakfasts, lunches (packed when necessary)and evening meals prepared by the cook
- Certificate of Achievement/appreciation
- Free storage of excess baggage not required on the mountain hike.
- Rescue fees
- All safety communication equipments (radio & cell phones)
Quotation to Exclude
- Travel and personal accident insurance
- Visa fees, passport, vaccinations, medicines, Personal Mountain equipment & tips
- Expenditure for mineral water, alcoholic drinks, souvenirs & other personal items
- Optional excursions not detailed in the itinerary
- Additional optional overnights added at the base hotel or extra days on the mountain added
- Water purification tablets otherwise highly recommended that you use bottled water.
- Altitude sickness medicine – but better consult with your doctor just incase you are allergic
- Extra costs incurred in case of own intentional change of itinerary while already on trek
- Gloves, Sunglasses, Sleeping bag, Hats, Rain suits, Jacket, Heavy boots, Scarf's, Rain Trousers
- You can hire some of the equipments available at a reasonable cost