- Kenya Safari Packages
- Tanzania Safari Packages
- Kenya & Tanzania Tours
- Uganda Tour Packages
- Special Tour Programmes
Chogoria Out Sirimon Route
TRANSVERSE "A True Contrast"
- Climbing Attempt Through Chogoria Out Sirimon Route
- (Itinerary adjustable to 4, 6, or 7 days)
Quite a challenge. The ascend to the base of the high peaks is steady and longer hence a real test on individual fitness. Descent through Sirimon is more or less gradual and at a comfortable pace. This itinerary includes mandatory camping at Mintos on day 2 but unless preffered the rest of the nights can be in the lodges available along the routes. Traversing groundsels up the steep Chogoria route
Depart from Nairobi at 0800hrs, driving through agricultural country up to Chogoria. Leave the tarmac and attempt the drive on the dirt road through Chogoria forest up to the Chogoria Park gate. The whole journey takes 5-10 hours depending on the prevailing weather conditions at Chogoria. When wet the Chogoria road is rendered impassable.
Dinner and overnight @ Park gate campsite or Meru Mount Kenya Lodge (3000m)
Today you commence early for a long trek on a wide track through the forest, with occasional sightings of elephant, bushbuck, buffalo and impala. Emerging from the forest, you walk through heather before crossing the Nithi River to reach the moorlands from where you can enjoy good views of the picturesque Gorges Valley, the Temple, lakes, mushroom rocks, billiards table and the high peaks. Total walking time approx. 8 hours, picnic lunch en route.
Dinner/overnight @ Mintos camp (4300m)
Predawn attempt of the summit starts at 0300hrs and you hike for about three hours up to Point Lenana (4985m), the hikers' summit, arriving therein time to watch the African sunrise. Descend to Shipton’s camp for breakfast and a whole day's rest.
Dinner and overnight @ Shipton’s camp (4200m)
After breakfast, begin a 5-6 hour descent to Sirimon Park gate (2600m). The descent is gentle and it offers ample time to enjoy fascinating scenery which includes the moorlands and forests before reaching our base hotel where a comfortable room and hot shower awaits you.Those wishing to return to Nairobi today leave after lunch, arriving there by 1700hrs).
Dinner and overnight @ Mountain Rock Lodge (1950m)
Have breakfast then return to Nairobi.
Tip: Day 2's hike is a long one involving a steady climb up to Mintos. Hikers who are not limited by time can take an overnight stopover at the Nithi Camp (3300m) mid-way to Mintos. From here they can explore the nearby Nithi Falls or climb Mugi hill (3500m) for better acclimatization. Alternatively you can hike directly toMintos/Halltarn and spend an extra day here instead to recuperate and explore the Gorges Valley which also accords you a better acclimatization due to the higher altitude.
- Transport from Nairobi to Sirimon /Chogoria/ Naromoru and back to Nairobi
- Transport from Sirimon to the mountain and back
- Mount Kenya trek and accommodation while trekking
- Climbing duration as per the detailed itineraries
- All government taxes
On the climb, the following are also included:
- Accommodation Two Man tent as detailed on the itinerary
- Services of a English speaking mountain guide, cook and adequate porters to carry both trip provisions and clients private bags
- National Park Entrance, accommodation and camping fees
- All food and catering equipment - breakfasts, lunches (packed when necessary)and evening meals prepared by the cook
- Certificate of Achievement/appreciation
- Free storage of excess baggage not required on the mountain hike.
- Rescue fees
- Nairobi accommodation and meals
- Travel and personal accident insurance
- Visa fees, passport, vaccinations, medicines, Personal Mountain equipment & tips
- Expenditure for mineral water, alcoholic drinks, souvenirs & other personal items
- Optional excursions not detailed in the itinerary
- Additional optional overnights added at the base hotel or extra days on the mountain added
- Extra costs incurred in case of own intentional change of itinerary while already on trek
- Gloves, Sun glasses, Sleeping bag, Hats, Rain suits, Warm Jacket, Heavy boots, Scarf's, Rain Trousers
- You can hire some of the equipments available at a reasonable cost